St. Peter's Parish - 1800s
August - the first Catholic service is held in London Township at the home of Michael Flood; Bishop Alexander MacDonnell and Fr. James Campion officiating.
The first baptism is that of John and Mary Dignan, aged 1 and 3 years old
The first Catholic wedding in the London vicinity takes place between James Flood and Catherine Keogh.
The first Catholic burial is that of Catherine Flood.
In September, St. Thomas is detached from Dundas (near Hamilton) and constituted as a separate parish, with London as a mission
Fr. Daniel Downie builds the first Catholic church in London. St. Lawrence the Martyr Church opened on August 10, 1834 on the southwest corner of the present Richmond St. and Dufferin Avenue.
June 6, Fr. Michael Robert Mills takes charge of St. Thomas and London is created a separate parish.
December 11, Fr. Thadeus T. Kirwan is appointed the first Rural Dean of London.
April 24, St. Lawrence Church was destroyed by a fire, started by arsonists.
March 7, the new brick St. Lawrence the Martyr Church was opened on the northeast corner of the present Richmond St. and Dufferin Ave.
The former Universalist Church which once stood on the north side of King St., east of Wellington Rd. was rented by the parish for church purposes during the construction of the new St. Lawrence Church.
February 21, Pope Pius IX partitions nine counties from the Diocese of Toronto and establishes a new See at London.
February 29, Pierre-Adolphe Pinsoneault is named first Bishop of London.
June 29, Bishop Pinsoneault is installed in St. Peter's Cathedral (previously known as St. Lawrence's Church) on the Festival of St. Peter and St. Paul.
September 30, London's first Catholic school, St. Peter's, is established. Unfortunately, St. Peter's School is no longer in existence. Rather, the building serves as "St. Peter's Campus" - a facility to compensate for overcrowding at Catholic high schools. This is unfortunate because St. Peter's School was very historical and we would be celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2007.
December, Bishop Pinsoneault moves the episcopal residence to Sandwich (near Windsor).
February 2, Rome authorizes the translation of the Episcopal See from London to Sandwich.
July 8, James Vincent McLaughlin becomes the first Londoner to be ordained a priest.
October 2, Henry Edward Dormer dies from typhoid fever. Word spreads quickly: "The saint is dead!" A memorial to Dormer is in the west transept of the Cathedral, near the Chapel of Christ the King.
December 18 - as requested, Bishop Pinsoneault resigns, having left the diocese in considerable debt.
John Walsh is named Bishop of London and moves the episcopal residence back to London.
November 15, decree from Rome switching Episcopal See back to London, from Sandwich.
Bishop's Palace (residence for the Bishop and clergy of the cathedral) is built to the east side of the Cathedral church. Prior to 1920 the rectory served as the first diocesan seminary.
February 15, Bishop Walsh announces plans to build a new Cathedral.
March 18, Joseph Connolly is named architect and, on August 10, the first sod is turned.
On May 22, the cornerstone of the current Cathedral is blessed and laid.
April 19, Bishop Walsh delivers a "farewell sermon" in the old St. Peter's before it is torn down.
June 28, the new Cathedral is dedicated and opened on the vigil of St. Peter and St. Paul.
February 13 - death of Monsignor Bruyere: missionary, rector, Vicar-General, diocesan administrator, and champion of Catholic education. His remains lie buried under the present Cathedral and there is a memorial to his honour in the East Transept.
July 25, Bishop Walsh is named Archbishop of Toronto.
October 6, dedication ceremonies in the Cathedral for the installation of stained glass windows, high altar, and stations of the cross.