St. Peter's Parish - 1900s
December 14, Michael Francis Fallon, OMI, is named Bishop of London.
St. Peter's Seminary is founded, 30 seminarians begin academic studies at the Bishop's Palace (now the rectory).
Bishop Fallon moves to Blackfriars (90 Central Avenue) and this continues to serve as the Bishop's Palace.
St. Peter's Parish Hall is erected. The Hall was later given by the Cathedral to its School, which is no longer in existence. Today, the area once occupied by the parish hall is now where the school gym is.
1926 - Jubilee Year for the Cathedral
From John Farrell's History of the Roman Catholic Church in London, 1826 - 1931:
"1926 was Centennial Year for the historic city of London, Ontario. Exactly a hundred years ago, the first primitive beginnings of London showed themselves at the Forks of the River Thames. Catholics had double reason to celebrate since .... 1926 was the three hundredth anniversary of the first Mass ever to have been said in the peninsula of Southwestern Ontario. From the makeshift altar of Father de la Roche Dallion, the Church had risen tothesplendour of St. Peter's Cathedral, of St. Peter's Seminary, Brescia Hall, and of the numerous parishes and schools throughout the Diocese."
September 26 to October 3 - Catholic Centennial Week in London.
In addition to commemorating the aforementioned Jubilee, this celebrated the construction of St. Peter's Seminary and Brescia Hall (today called Brescia College). Also, this was an extremely special week for the Cathedral since it celebrated the beautiful decoration of the Cathedral's interior and thenewCassavant organ.
February 22, Bishop Fallon dies. He remains a controversial figure in the history of the Diocese of London. Those curious readers who wish to read his memorial should simply walk into his Cathedral Church and appreciate its beauty: "If you are looking for his monument, just look around you."
June 9, London welcomes the first visit by a Prince of the Church, John Cardinal Villeneuve, Archbishop of Quebec.
December 22, Ralph Humbert Dignan is named Bishop of Sault Ste Marie, the first native son of London to be elevated to the episcopacy. Bishop Dignan wrote a wonderful History of the Diocese of London that traces the origins of the Church in this area well back into the 17th century.
April 7, Fr. Philip Francis Pocock becomes the second native Londoner to be appointed bishop; consecrated Bishop of Saskatoon on June 29 in St. Peter's Cathedral.
December 8, the Shrine to Our Mother of Perpetual Help is dedicated, it is believed to be the first of its kind in Canada. Visitors may find this shrine in the East Transept.
June 2,death of Bishop Kidd. John Cody becomes the seventh Bishop of London.
September 1, Bishop Cody dedicates the new baptistry, donated to the Cathedral by the Sansone family. Designed by Philip Aziz, the baptistry is to be found at the east end of the narthex (in the entrance to the Cathedral). It is placed at the entrance to the Cathedral because baptism marks an entrance into God's family - the Church.
In April, stone from an old post office in St. Thomas is stockpiled beside the Cathedral in readiness for the completion of the towers and the new sacristy.
Work on the towers starts in October.
May 19 - bells are installed in the new towers.
December 8, Bishop Cody blesses the new Lady Chapel and Sacristy.
The side altar that is west of the High Altar (previously the Chapel of Sacred Heart of Jesus) became the Chapel of Christ the King. The side altar that is east of the High Altar (previously the Lady Chapel) became the Chapel of St. Joseph. The old Sacristy became the new Lady Chapel and the new Sacristy is in a totally new room that goes around the Chancel in a semicircle.
December 13, Pope John XXIII raises St. Peter's to the rank of Minor Basilicainhonour of Bishop Cody's 25th anniversary of his episcopal consecration.
December 5,death of Bishop Cody. Visitors to the Cathedral may be curious to notice that, with the Gothic gargoyles along the facade, are images of two bishops: Bishop Walsh and Bishop Cody. Bishop Walsh's face is carved into the Cathedral facade to the right of the main door. Bishop Cody's face is on the other side of the doorway. Why these two Bishops? It was under Walsh that the building itself was constructed, the Diocese grew rapidly, and St. Peter's returned to being a Cathedral Church. Under Cody, the Cathedral was completed and became a Minor Basilica.
Martin Boundy received the Bene Mereti Medal for distinguished service to the Catholic community of London. Boundy was a music teacher at Catholic Central High School and founded their band in 1954. For over 20 years, Boundywasconductor of the London Symphony Orchestra (which now goes by the term "Orchestra London"). Boundy went on to lead the music program at Fanshawe College, where he founded the London Fanshawe Symphonic Chorus. For a number of years, Boundy served as choirmaster of St. Peter's Cathedral. Boundy died in the autumn of 1998.
February 22. The Most Rev'd Gerald Emmett Carter succeeds as eighth Bishop of London.
St. Peter's received its official Grant of Arms from the United Kingdom, legal recognition to our Coat of Arms.
Major renovations to the chancel/sanctuary. The old High Altar was removed and a new marble altar placed at the crossing along with a beautiful marble floor throughout the sanctuary. Much of the woodwork was removed, such as the communion rails and most of the choir stalls for the old chancel choir. The Bishop's Throne, which used to be in the choir stalls (hence the term "inchoir") was moved to where the old High Altar was. When completed, the renovations doubled the size of the main sanctuary and the beautiful High Altar still remains the focus of worship.
April 28, Bishop Carter is named Archbishop of Toronto.
August 21, Bishop Sherlock is installed as the ninth Bishop of London.
June 30, Archbishop Carter is created Canada's fourth Cardinal.
September 11, Cardinal Carter visits St. Peter's.
St. Peter's School closes and becomes extra class space.
June 11, Fr. Marcel Gervais (previously a professor at the Seminary) is consecrated Auxiliary Bishop of London; the first priest of this diocese to also serve as one of its bishops. Today, Gervais is the Cardinal-Archbishop of Ottawa.
April 7,death of Monsignor Feeney: "If you are looking for his monument, just look around you."
During the 50s, when Feeney was rector, the Cathedral was finished.
Monsignor O'Donnell becomes rector of St. Peter's.
Monsignor O'Donnell retires and Fr. Clare Coleman becomes rector.
Christmas Day, 11 o'clock Mass - Bishop Sherlock opened the Jubilee Door to officially begin our Diocese's celebrations for the Holy Year of 2000 before a large congregation. The occasion was marked with a solemn outdoor procession. Prayers were said in front of the door, which was blessed with holy water and incense. Once blessed, Bishop Sherlock opened the door and everyone followed to celebrate this triumphant occasion. The west door on the facade was used as the Jubilee Door and the logo of the Holy Year was painted on that door earlier that year.